When Donald Trump’s Twitter account was pulled down for 11 minutes earlier this month, the identity of the worker involved remained a mystery.
Now, TechCrunch says it has identified the man responsible for Trump’s unexpected moment of social media silence: Bahtiyar Duysak, a German native with Turkish roots who was working at Twitter as a contractor for Pro Unlimited.
“In my opinion, it was definitely a mistake, and if I’m involved in this, I really apologize if I hurt anyone,” Duysak told TechCrunch.
He attributed the error to a series of coincidences that happened, noting that sometimes he was just tired.
On his last day of work, Duysak said someone flagged Trump’s account and he moved the process forward, never thinking that the president’s account would actually get pulled down.
Hours later, a woman whom he didn’t know well approached him about his connection to Trump’s account deactivation.
His identity wasn’t released, but reporters started connecting the dots and some called his friends, family and others.
“I didn’t do any crime or anything evil, but I feel like Pablo Escobar,” he said, “and slowly it’s getting really annoying.”
SiliconBeat reached out to Twitter and asked if the tech firm could confirm whether Duysak was involved in the deactivation of Trump’s account.
“We won’t have a comment on a former employee. We have taken a number of steps to keep an incident like this from happening again. In order to protect our internal security measures we don’t have further details to share at this time,” Twitter said in a statement.
Photo Credit: The Twitter building is photographed Dec. 14, 2015, in San Francisco, Calif. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)