Many businesses rely on connectivity technologies such as wireless (Wi-Fi) and cellular that enable an efficient line of communication between devices and allow internet access. Wi-Fi only works within the range of your router so that you can access the Internet on your phone or tablet. With these technologies, businesses would get connected to the digital world and keep their employees, clients, and visitors associated. So, now let us see how to choose the right wireless solution between Wi-Fi vs. Cellular along with Smart Mobile Network Monitoring Tools, Mobile Network Drive Test Tools, Mobile Network Testing Tools and Smart Best wireless site survey software, site survey tools for wireless networks & Wifi site survey software app in detail.
It is a technology for wireless local area networking and stands for Wireless Fidelity. WiFi or Wireless Fidelity technology uses multiple bands of radiofrequency waves to transmit information between devices based on IEEE 802.11 standards and connect them wirelessly. Wi-Fi provides high-speed internet access to connected smartphones, laptops, and tablets that can not only communicate and send information between each other but also access the internet without wires, or cables.
Wi-Fi-compatible devices can connect to the internet via a WLAN network (which has an access point that receives and transmits data from/to users) and a wireless access point (AP). Internet access is possible anywhere due to Wi-Fi connections available in office buildings, shopping malls, restaurants, and similar. You can have a modem connected to a wireless router to get the Wi-Fi connectivity. A mobile device with Wi-Fi needs a wireless adapter to translate between data and radio signals. However, Wi-Fi networks have a limited range, hence, it lose access to the network once a device moves out of range.
Cellular networks provide high-capacity coverage over a wide area that allows the user to make phone calls and maintain internet access from almost anywhere. Mobile devices use cellular signals coming from cell towers and cellular connection is facilitated by cellular towers – cellular signals are beneficial to connect to the internet as well as communicate with other cell phones.
Cellular networks depend on network range availability that can also be used to broadcast a WiFi signal. A cellular modem can connect to the network through a cellular provider, it converts cellular data into a Wi-Fi signal, and Wi-Fi devices can connect to this signal and have internet access.
Mobile devices can reach a cell tower up to 45 miles away – a specific area which has more cell towers, the faster and more reliable the network will be and it depends on the connection 3G, 4G, 5G, LTE.
Difference between Wi-fi and Cellular –
– Wi-Fi is known as local area networking technology that provides high-speed internet access by using radio waves to Wi-Fi enabled mobile devices. Cellular networking technology is attached to the device that uses cellular signal to connect to the internet.
– Wi-Fi has a constrained range and is faster whereas cellular has unlimited range and is slow in terms of speed and reliability.
– You can use unlimited data in a day or a month with Wi-Fi but cellular has a data plan with limited consumption.
– Wi-Fi standard can be used by devices to broadcast and receive information whereas mobile technology is used for cellular communication.
– Wi-Fi requires a connection to a wireless router to provide internet access, but cellular data doesn’t connect to a router.
– Wireless networks require enabling encryption whereas cellular data is encrypted by default and offers safer connectivity.
There are several situations when Wi-Fi wins over cellular but there are also some cases when and where cellular is a winner as it provides solution that saves another industry money. If you are a business owner looking for a connectivity solution, you should consider combining cellular and wireless technology. Some businesses rely on Wi-Fi networks to keep customers and employees connected and provide them with internet access. Whatever it is, network testing is required to conduct in regular interval so here comes RantCell that can be mass deployed on readily available Android phones to perform different types of network tests even remotely.